Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Hyper Japan Summer Event 2015 - My Verdict

Last weekend we attended the Hyper Japan 2015 event at the O2 Arena in London! We attended last year for the whole weekend, but with funds being a bit restricted we only attended the Saturday this year.

I had blogged about the event leading up to it and couldn't wait to see what the new venue was going to be like. I had never been to the 02 before but we did manage to get to it pretty easily from Euston Station. We headed out from Birmingham New Street station on the 5.50am train :o but that didn't stop us playing Sushi Go! on our way!


Once we were at the O2 it was pretty easy to get our wristbands having bought the fast registration tickets, and within 30 minutes they let us into the venue to make our way to the Hyper Japan event. Now I have to admit, I had no idea how the event was going to work in the O2 as I knew there was a ring of bars and restaurants around the main centre arena. Upon entering the O2 we walked to an area where Hyper Japan had been set up, and I have to say, even though I know this won't be a popular thing to say, I wasn't fully impressed. :(

It appeared to be a gated off area of open space that I felt to be much smaller than what was on offer last year. Last year everything was in one large hall so you could walk around each area and not miss events that were happening on the various stages. This year the event was split across three separate areas of the O2, some of which you had to queue to get inside each time you wanted to enter meaning it was possible to miss out on seeing certain performances.  :(

Anyway, we started with the main area of Hyper Japan which featured the Hyper Kawaii area, fringe market and festival stage. First we headed to LoveJojo as my niece and I had RVSP'd her event - the first 100 people to come see her each day got a Kawaii gift!


Here's the lovely LoveJojo posing for pics! To see what we picked up from her stall check back this weekend for my Hyper Japan Haul post! After picking up our Kawaii gift we had a walk around the Hyper Kawaii area; we came across Tofu Cute and their Candy Festival:


This was a really good way for people to try out new jcandy without buying whole packs! ^^ I always love Tofu Cutes stands, they always look soooo Kawaii:


Here was their super cute Monchhichi stand! As well as these they also had their cosmetics and accessories for sale! Also in Hyper Kawaii was the super Kawaii Roxie Sweetheart!


She always has the prettiest stall! Covered in sparkly Kawaiiness I had to pick up a few pieces while I was here! Check back to see what!

After picking up a few more bits in the fringe market, Mr and my niece started to get peckish so we headed towards the food court. On our way we walked by this super cute cupcake stall:


Just look at some of the yummy cupcakes Supercute London were selling! MMMMMMMM


We also came across this very stylish Onigiri stall!


After reaching the food court and securing a table Mr and Niece headed off and came back with Tempura Prawns which Mr loved:


And Karaage chicken which Niece really enjoyed:


After a quick snack, we headed back into the main area where we caught Less than Love playing on the Festival Stage. They were so good! The singer was awesome and played a guitar.


After watching the rest of their performance I set about finding me some fashionable people! I didn't have to walk too far before I came across this SUPER KAWAII LADY!! ^^


Unfortunately I didn't catch her name as she had to head off but if you're her let me know! 

Next I came across this stunning lady:


This is Fifi Evelyn of CandyAtom! I was in awe at her outfit! She was so super stylish and Kawaii! So glad I got this pic! 

Next I came across this super cute Sweet Lolita:


This was so well done! Her outfit was stunning and everything matched perfectly just as it should! 

While watching the Festival Stage I caught this Kawaii lady, Electric Leech:


Just look at her shoes!!! ^^ Then I turned round and found this super cute bunch!


Just look at their outfits!! So cute and gothic! 

After a spot of fashion hunting we watched this super Kawaii duo on the Festival Stage:


This is Die Milch - they were so cute, I absolutely loved them, they really got the crowd involved! 

After doing all we could in the main area we thought we would head to the games area, but then we came across these KAWAII LADIES in the meet and greet area:


YES! IT'S DEMPAGUMI.INC!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Our experience at the Meet and Greet will have its own special post so check back for that! ^^ 

Onto the games area we went. The games area was in a whole other area of the O2 which meant you were mingling with general members of the public who were either attending other events at the O2 or just going to a bar. Once we reached the games area we were made to queue as they could only allow people in with a 100 out, 100 in process. We found this very poor and I think this damaged the amount of people that visited the area. 

Nintendo had a large presence at the event:







As you can see from my pics above, they had quite a large area compared to last year, but there wasn't too many people attending it! There weren't as many sellers in the area as there was last year and it didn't take very long to get around. I genuinely feel this year damaged the event with it being held over so many separate areas. The games area didn't feel like it was part of HJ at all. 

The last area at the event was Building Six. I haven't mentioned it till now as to be honest we didn't go in. To save money, the three of us had taken food and drink and when we arrived at Building Six we were told that we would have to dump all of it in order to enter the building. Which was a serious let down as this was where Dempagumi.Inc and other Jpop bands were performing. It was also where the Maid Cafe was. I can't tell you what a let down this was. We love Dempagumi.Inc and were so impressed that they were going to be at HJ. It was such a let down to have this separated off from the rest of the event. 

Last year, as the event was in one large hall, you could zip over to areas to see acts so easily, this year it just didn't feel like an entire event. I left this year's event glad that we had only gone for a day as we would never have had enough to do across three days. 

This has felt like a very negative post. I haven't enjoyed writing it but I have to be honest, and based on our experience this year we wouldn't attend again. I have read a lot of other people giving opinions on this year#s event and those who have been for quite a few years have said that the organisers aren't learning, and with the amount of money it costs to attend, I wouldn't be willing to chance it again. 

The event had lots of plusses, like the acts they secured, but the whole event was disorganised, disjointed and disappointing. 

I will be posting several other blog posts to show you what I bought, our Dempagumi.Inc meet and greet and more about Die Milch so make sure you pop by for them as they were the highlights of the event! 

Catch you later Kawaiisters!! ^^

3 comments:

Eimear Anne said...

It's a pity that you didn't enjoy it so much this year, I've heard the same from many friends. I've been a few times and always loved it, hopefully it's back on track for the next event. One thing I love about it is that they have so much food, unlike most other cons!

{ sparklesideup.com }

Dannie - Famous in Japan said...

What a shame you didn't enjoy it! It does sound pretty bad that they separated it into three different sections - surely they know it's a popular event! I was curious about the Christmas market they put on, but now I'm not sure about going. Good on you for being honest about your experience!

Dannie x

Pinkuiro Pixie said...

Thanks Dannie! I know some people are saying it was brilliant and the best yet but I have to be honest when I say it was like a tiny market on a car park and it's amazing to hear so many use the same phrase! We were going to go to the Christmas one but after this and with how expensive it is to go with travel, food, entry and spending money, I'd rather stay home and shop online :(

Pinkuiropixie X

Post a Comment